General Admission Policy
These requirements apply across all the JFK Muhlenberg Snyder Schools: Nursing, Radiography, and Sonography.
- Admission is selective and competitive.
- Individuals are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Deadlines allow the Schools to process the completed applications and register the new students properly.
- Personal interviews are not required as part of the admission process. Interested individuals should explore the Schools' website or read the School Catalog for information regarding the different schools and the individual school programs,
- Credit Evaluations provide a preliminary review of credits for transfer. The Admissions Committee may request that the applicant clarify information presented to the Schools before an admission decision is made.
- The Admissions Committee may request that the applicant clarify information presented to the Schools before an admission decision is made.
- Applicants are notified by postal mail of the Admissions Committee’s decision. Persons who are accepted into a program must submit a non- refundable acceptance fee.
- It is not necessary to apply separately to Union County College. Personal interviews are not required. All applications accepted by the Schools are also accepted by Union County College.
- Applications remain active for two semesters, the semester applied for and the next semester.
- General education courses need not be taken prior to applying to JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools.
- Applicants who are declined admission into one program and apply for another program must complete a new application form, write a new essay and submit another application fee. It is also necessary to submit new references and may be necessary to retake the Entrance Exam.
- Students who wish to transfer from one program to another program within the Schools must complete a new application form, write a new essay, submit an official updated Union County College transcript and include a reference from the first JFK Muhlenberg Snyder School program that they attended. It may also be necessary to retake the Entrance Exam.
General Admission Requirements
NOTE: All applicants must provide, meet or have the following requirements:
- Must be United States citizens,Naturalized U. S. citizens or Permanent Residents
- Must at minimum be a high school graduate or have a GED Diploma:¹
- No Exceptions - regardless of when high school was attended or if attended college.
- Overall grades are reviewed, particularly algebra, biology and chemistry. Chemistry is required for School of Nursing applicants. A “C” (70%) or better in each subject is required.
- Students who have not completed algebra, biology or chemistry in high school, must take the high school equivalent courses at Union County College:
- High School Biology ............................... BIO 102
- High School Chemistry .......................... CHE 101
- High School Algebra .............................. MAT 022 or MAT 019/021 sequence
- Must submit Scholastic Assessment/Aptitude Test (SAT or ACT) scores if applicant has graduated from high school within the last three years. This requirement is waived for all other applicants. The Schools SAT code is 2452. SAT information is available at www.collegeboard.com.
- Meet the Grade Point Average (GPA) requirements:
- Overall grades are reviewed, particularly algebra, biology and chemistry. Chemistry is required for School of Nursing applicants. A "C" (70%) or better in each subject is required.
- Applicants with previous college experience are required to have a Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher in all relevant courses²
- No grade lower than a "C" considered for transfer.
- Five-year time limit for Anatomy and Physiology I and II, Microbiology.
- Ten-year time limit for Chemistry and Physics
- No more than one repeat is permitted in relevant science courses.
- Nursing courses will only be considered for transfer if they were successfully completed at the previous School of Nursing and were taken within the last five years.
- The Admissions Committee will consider grades earned in both required general education courses and previously completed nursing or medical imaging courses. Applicants are responsible for having official transcripts* sent from all schools ever attended.
- It is not necessary to attend Union County College (UCC) prior to applying to the JFK Muhlenberg Snyder Schools. However, students who are currently enrolled, previously enrolled and/or plan to enroll at UCC prior to their admission to the Schools must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher in the courses relevant to their selected JFK Muhlenberg Snyder Schools program.³ Students not meeting this criterion may seek guidance from a Union County College counselor.
- Must take the Entrance Examination (ATI TEAS Exam; formerly the TEAS V Exam). For more information visit Assessment Technologies Institute (ATI) at www.atitesting.com and ATI TEAS Entrance Examination Information Sheet on the School's website.
- Required are three letters of reference. These references may be obtained from teachers, guidance counselors, professors, instructors, employers, clergy and/or any individual who knows the applicant in a professional capacity. Personal references, from friends or family, are not acceptable. A complete reference includes the form, which is part of the Admission Application, and an accompanying letter. The form must be signed by the applicant and the person writing the reference.
Specific references may be required from qualifying applicants:
- High school seniors, or those who have graduated from high school within the last three years, must include references from guidance counselors, teachers, and/or high school administrators.
- LPN graduates must include a complete reference from the director of their LPN program or from a faculty instructor(s) (not required if graduated more than five years ago).
- Applicants who have previously attended another School of Nursing within the last five years, and are seeking to transfer any nursing courses, must submit at least one letter of reference from either the program’s director or from a faculty instructor(s).
- Applicants, who have previously attended JFK Muhlenberg Snyder School of Nursing and are seeking readmission, must submit a reference letter from a faculty member from the last course that the student attended.
- Applicants seeking to transfer any medical imaging courses must include a letter of reference from the director of that medical imaging program or from the respective course instructor(s).
- Submit a completed Application for Admissions.(4) (Note: Application has a Checklist with detail instructions for completing.),
- Request three letters of reference from those who know you in a professional capacity (family or friends are not suitable references), See above.
- Enclose an essay as described on the Application for Admissions,
- Request official transcript(s)¹ from all the schools attended (high school, all colleges, vocational schools, schools of practical nursing, radiography, etc.) including graduation date or official GED test results.
- Request SAT or ACT scores for those who graduated from high school within the last three years,
- Register and take the ATI TEAS Entrance Test and results submitted. (Entrance test may be taken twice.) Registration can be done through www.atitesting.com.
- Obtain a translation and an evaluation from foreign studies. This must been done by an accredited independent agency. See Additional Admission Information for specifics and process.
- Read, sign and return with the application the appropriate Consumer Information Sheet pertaining to the School your are applying to. Consumer Information Sheets can be found within the Application packet.
- ALL materials must be received by the application deadline. Applications are processed as received on a rolling basis. The Schools accept applications for the Fall (September) and Spring (January) semesters. It is not necessary to wait until the deadline to apply. Applications are reviewed upon completion and, therefore, early decisions may be made.
- ALL materials should be sent to:
JFK Muhlenberg Harold B. and Dorothy A. Snyder Schools
P.O. Box 4649
Metuchen, NJ 08840
¹ Only official transcripts can be considered to process an application. Official transcripts are those transcripts sent directly from one school to another school without student receipt and include an official seal of the school. Official transcripts in envelopes sealed with the respective school’s seal, hand carried by the applicant, will also be accepted.
² Please refer to the Curriculum Design page for your program of interest.
³ The Admissions Committee will review official transcripts and make an assessment of the overall Grade Point Average (GPA), the science GPA specifically, and/or the prevalence of repeating courses in order to achieve a passing grade.
(4) A completed application includes ALL documents/credentials required of the applicant. Upon receipt of the application, notification of any missing documentation will be sent to the applicant along with information regarding the required entrance test.
Additional Admission Information
Please visit the Additional Admission Information section which includes supplemental information and criterion for the Application and Admissions process.